After spending 2 full days with other independent school educators from all over the US with varying expertise in online education, I couldn’t help but observe the following:
Online learning presents itself in many different forms:
- Individual vs. cohort programs
- Synchronous vs. asynchronous
- Competency-based learning vs. fixed time, variable learning
- Discussion forums vs chats
- 1:1 vs small groups vs lectures
With all of these options, many are asking:
- Is blended better than fully online?
- What’s the best LMS?
- What’s the best collaboration tool?
And the answer… “IT DEPENDS!”
It depends on:
- Size of schools
- Students’ needs
- Teachers’ needs
- Teachers’ goals and objectives
- … and money.
I did learn a ton of new ideas from the sessions I attended. The take home message couldn’t have been stated more simply by Michael Horn during his keynote:
Personalized learning and DIY education will disrupt the future of tradition school
And as educators, how will be leverage the technology available to use to foster learning in our students?